Sir George Gilbert Scott’s restoration of the church was started in 1877 and was incomplete at the time of his death in 1878, carried out for Sir Henry Hunt and R. F. W. Palgrave. Scott’s most noticeable work was in the interior. He removed all the eighteenth and early nineteenth century woodwork including the pews and galleries, stripped down the walls which were cleaned and repaired, and provided new fittings and a new roof. The window tracery was restored and he donated £60 for a new aisle window.