In 1867, Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a report on the restoration of St Machar’s Cathedral.

He recommended the retention of the medieval heraldic ceiling, opening up the East arch to expose capitals, installing stained glass, the restoration of the parapets to the tower, nave and south aisle, removal of the gatehouse and restoration of the north aisle roof.

The only recommendation of Scott’s acted upon was the removal of 1824 lathe and plaster.