Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a survey of this church in 1855 with a view to restoration. This was carried out by his son George Gilbert in 1863-4 with further restoration in 1875-8. However, Scott may have drawn up a further plan in 1864-70, for general repairs and reseating, although he may not have directly supervised the work which had been passed onto his son.