The workhouse was built to a Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt plan between 1837-9 in a Classical style from purple stone with an ashlar entrance block. It had an octagonal centre with a four storey tower. Intended to accommodate 300 inmates, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised the sum of £6,000 on its construction. The entrance range has now been partly demolished.