Built to a Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt plan in Classical style between 1837-9 and similar to Tavistock. A gothic design was originally offered to the Poor Law Commissioners as alternative but the Classical style was chosen. This included round headed rusticated windows. All the rear ward blocks have now been demolished. Intended to accommodate 350 inmates, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised the sum of £6,260 for its construction.