Sir George Gilbert Scott was appointed in 1837, at the same time as he was appointed at Spilsby, to build the workhouse in a Scott and Moffatt Classical style standard plan. It was to house 350 inmates and to cost £3,829, though completion costs were £6,000 by 1838. The contractor was Robinson. It has a three storey principle range with a polygonal centre and short projecting wings. A plainer two storey range is behind, the infirmary and a single storey entrance range with archway with pediment, in front. It became the Louth County Hospital.