This workhouse, for 350 inmates, was authorised in 1838 and then built to a Jacobean style Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt plan during the two following years. Constructed of red brick with yellow brick dressings, it is symmetrical with a four storied central block for the Master’s quarters, and three storey wings on either side. The contractor was William Child and it cost nearly £9,000 to complete. It is now in residential use.