The design for this workhouse was approved in 1836, without Sir George Gilbert Scott having to compete with other architects. The standard Scott and Moffatt plan in Classical style was built between 1837-8, to house 350 inmates with an initial cost of £5,000 although the final sum needed was around £8,000 to complete the building. Only the front range in Ancaster stone now remains, the now demolished high four storey main buildings behind built in brick. The clerk of works was William Lewin and the contractors, Thomas Vert, William Valentine, John Marshall, George Walsh and John Baker.