The Tudor H plan design by Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt was approved in 1839 and contruction commenced the following year. It is built from red brick with stone dressings and initially cost £5,500, but required another £1,100 to complete it. In the twentieth century it was a hospital until its closure in 1998, when it has since been redeveloped for residential use.