Sir George Gilbert Scott won this workhouse commission through a competition and by himself, Moffatt not being appointed to the project. It was designed and built between 1835-7, based on Sampson Kempthorne’s model ‘square’ plan published by the Poor Law Commissioners in 1835. It was to accommodate 250 inmates and cost £5,500 to build. It was demolished in the 1930s and housing built on the site.