In January 1838, two Guardians from Amersham visited Sir George Gilbert Scott’s newly completed Guildford workhouse in the classical style. They found it to be ‘very far preferable and much superior in its conveniences and accomodations [sic] to any Workhouse they had previously seen’, but it is not clear that they expected the Tudor design which Scott produced for them. Perhaps in an effort to make their designs seem less austere, the standard Scott and Moffatt plan was only slightly altered to accommodate the new design, with mullioned windows, Tudor turrets and patterned brickwork, as Scott had seen on his sketching tours. It is clear that the partners wanted to vary the standard classical design. Thus by 1838, all Scott and Moffat’s new workhouses were in the Tudor style and Amersham was one of the earliest.
It was authorised in 1838 to house 330 inmates, constructed from flint and red brick, on an E plan with single storey front range with a gatehouse, since altered. £6800 was authorised for the building in 1838, with a further £1400 in 1841 to complete it, along with £300 in 1845 for an addition.
Bucks County Record Office, 4/1/7 p. 129.