The cathedral we see today is the work of three men who were associated with Wakefield during the 19th century. The first was Sir George Gilbert Scott, who worked on the cathedral between 1857 and 1874. His involvement included re-casing the tower in 1859 and rebuilding the spire in 1860. This was followed by major external repairs, reordering of the quire and, finally, the nave that was completed in 1874. His son, John Oldrid Scott, added the organ chamber and vestries and completed part of the present reredos, which is considered one of the finest Victorian examples in England.