In 1838, Sir George Gilbert Scott met Stevens, his friend and the Poor Law Commissioner, at Uttoxeter, probably in connection with the erection of the workhouse. Scott and Moffatt were awarded the contract later that year for one of their standard plans and the builders, William Sissons of Hull and George Myers and Richard Wilson of Hull, were appointed. The cost would be £3,900, it would accommodate 200 inmates and was completed by 1840. It had an entrance range with the main block to the rear but was demolished in the early twentieth century.