This workhouse was built to a Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt plan, approved in 1837, in Tudor Gothic style. It was built in red brick, made from clay dug out of the foundations, with a black diaper pattern. It was symmetrical with a battlemented gatehouse and a Georgian cupola. It was to hold 200 inmates and built at a cost £2,939, the builder William Sissons of Hull. It was completed by 1841.