Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt designed the plan for this workhouse in 1836, a new layout of their Classical style plan, which was to become standard. It had three storied wings with a four storied central block, to house 200 inmates. It cost around £4,000 and was built by the Hooper family. The building was finally completed in 1840. It is now a residential site.