Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt were in competition with Bolton and Palmer for this workhouse but Moffatt met the Commissioner, Stevens, in 1838 and their design was accepted. Mr Shaw’s tender was also accepted and the building was reduced in size so as not to exceed the £3,700 agreed as costs, although this later rose to £6,000. It was to house 350 paupers and was completed in 1839. It seems to have been similar in style to Lichfield but was demolished in 1938, with the abolition of the workhouse system.