It seems likely that Sir George Gilbert Scott had some association with the design of this house through his assistant Richard Coad, who came from Liskeard and was probably originally articled to Henry Rice before joining Scott’s office in 1847. Rice worked with Scott from 1857-62 on this project. The client was Charles Lygon Somers Cocks who built the house after retirement from the army. He was strongly influenced by the Gothic Revival employing William Burgess to design the interior. It has now been subdivided into private housing.