This church was a long-term restoration project for Sir George Gilbert Scott. He first reported on it in 1863 and the main restoration was carried out between 1865-9 for the Rev. Clements, He gave a lecture on the church in June 1875 in Grantham and also published a paper on it for the Lincolnshire Archaeological Society. His restoration included the wagon roofs, and his fittings included the rood screen, new seating and a parclose screen similar to that at Hereford Cathedral, the latter two appearing as drawings his Drawings Collection (RIBA).
Sir George Gilbert Scott continued with his restoration in 1876, restoring the north porch and with further work on the windows.