After the church was struck by lightning, Sir George Gilbert Scott rebuilt the tower and tall crocketed spire in 1860-2. He also repaired damage to the chancel and roofs and added a north aisle using funds from the ICBS (Church Commissioners) of £110 to provide thirty-two seats, which he had originally suggested in 1855. He re-organised the other seating and also provided a new pulpit.