A competition was held for architects to submit their plans for the rebuilding of the old church in 1844. However, the competition collapsed and Sir George Gilbert Scott was called in for the rebuild.
This was in a simple Decorated style, costing £4,723, to seat around 700 and constructed of hard grey limestone. He also designed the fittings including the octagonal font, Bath stone pulpit and plain pews.
His clerk of works was John Harries, a local surveyor, and the work was completed by 1851.