Sir George Gilbert Scott built this church between 1863-5, in Early English style, at a cost of £16,500 and at the sole expense of the Rev. S. Russell Davies. It is built from Kentish Rag with Bath stone dressings and was intended to have a tower, although this was never built due to lack of funds. The reredos was by Charles Buckeridge, Scott’s assistant, and the stained glass by Clayton and Bell.