This ‘tactful’ church restoration was undertaken by Baker-King under the supervision of Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1867-8 for the Rev. Henry Bourchier Wrey. The cost was around £1,300, including reseating the nave for £1,000, the chancel re-roofed, a new lych gate and other repairs at an additional cost of £350 . Scott apparently considered the gallery in the north transept the best piece of carving in the building.
White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Devon, 1878.
F. Wrey, Tawstock Church, North Devon (Barnstaple, 1892), p. 17.