A restoration on this church was carried out here between 1873-4. This included removing the west gallery, exposing the tower arch and restoring the nave. General repairs and a reseating were also carried out at a cost of around £4,000. During the restoration, Sir George Gilbert Scott also uncovered a series of fifteenth century wall paintings and alerted JG Waller to them. He published the first detailed commentary on them in the Archeological Journal, vol. 34, 1877.