Sir George Gilbert Scott’s s first report about this church is dated May 1849, with the restoration beginning in June 1850 and the church reopening in April 1852. Scott rebuilt the east end, the clerestory was restored and the nave and chancel re-roofed. A semi-circular central buttress, which survived the seventeenth century alterations and had been retained, was apparently the determining factor in Scott’s design of the windows in the east end of the chancel. He also reseated the church and lowered the floor of the nave and aisles by one foot in order to provide the conventional steps up to the chancel.