This was one of Sir George Gilbert Scott’s early solo projects, and he was chosen in competition with Fowler and appointed to the restoration of the church in 1846. He was selected by the churchwarden ‘as an architect is from his extensive practice in such undertakings in all respects qualified to tender his views to the parish’. His restoration, completed by 1848, included a new west gallery under the tower for children, work on the vestry, tower and body of the church, costing over £2,331. It was also re-seated and re-refitted at the same time and at a cost of £829, carried out by G. and W. Wyatt of Oxford. A Norman style font base was provided for the older font, along with a perpendicular style reading desk and stalls.