Originally a church built in 1822 by Rickman and Hutchinson, Sir George Gilbert Scott was asked to remodel and extend it in 1856, for the Rev. John Lucy, his ‘dear … friend’, who came from nearby Charlecote Park. He provided a new chancel, fittings and a new polygonal apse which was tall and highly ornate. He also added a two storey north porch and added an array of gothic pinnacles to the exterior. The church was reopened on Christmas Day 1863.