St Peter’s, Edensor
Sir George Gilbert Scott rebuilt the church for the 7th Duke of Devonshire at a cost of £14,000 between 1864-70, after the 6th Duke and Joseph Paxton, who had done so much at Chatsworth, died. It incorporates Norman fragments of the earlier church and is Early English in style with a tower and tall spire.
Stokes Monument, Edensor
In the churchyard of St Peter’s is a monument to George Henry Stokes dating from 1874, who had once been Sir George Gilbert Scott’s pupil before working with Paxton. He lies under a beautiful polished red granite coped ledger stone of the type that Scott had designed for his sister at Rigsby.