Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church between 1855-7, which included substantial rebuilding at the expense of the Rev. H. Still. A south aisle of two bays was added plus an apse in the style of 1300. He removed the gallery and installed a new west window, known as the Jesse window. The Nave is dominated by a magnificent arch and the chancel is decorated with Minton tiles and stone and wood carving by William Brindley. The sedilia is richly carved and fashioned from a single piece of stone. Later a tower, porch, north aisle and vestry were added by his son George Gilbert.