From his initial report of 1856, Sir George Gilbert Scott went onto restore and refit the church between 1864-6, restoring the chancel, which was formed from the Saxon church, and also the tower between 1864-5. He built a new nave in 1865-6, replacing the one built in 1782, as well as refitting the church and removing the transenna of the western window.