Between 1875-6, Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a considerable restoration and enlargement to the church. The north aisle, nave, chancel, north transept, and part of the tower were retained, the nave and chancel becoming the north aisle of the Victorian church and the north aisle being converted to a parish room. The tower was rebuilt and a leaden spire added, the gift of G. H. Errington of Lexden Park, the highest spire in Colchester. A new nave, chancel, vestry, organ chamber, and south aisle were built, financed by voluntary subscriptions, against the old church onto the south and east walls. Scott’s accounts show fees of £420 were charged for his work. The church was demolished in 1955 and replaced with a department store. Made in 1893 to Scott’s earlier designs, the octagonal pulpit of Portland and Caen stone, with alabaster panels separated by marble shafts, was then moved to St Barnabas’s Church, Colchester.