Sir George Gilbert Scott enlarged and restored this church in 1876–8, for the Rev. Edward Samson, who contributed £1,000 towards the cost. He extended the transepts eastwards forming north and south aisles, each of three bays. He also formed the present chancel by raising the floor level at the east end of the former nave and surrounding it with low stone screens. The font, on a base of coloured marble, is inscribed to the memory of George Augustus Selwyn, Bishop of Lichfield (d. 1878).