This was a new church built by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1858-60 for the Rev. Henry Worsley, in Early English style. Lord Churchill gave stone for the building, Worsley contributed £2,000 towards the cost of £4,600. The builder was James Thomas of Abingdon. It had a stone spire on an octagon on a central tower with quasi transepts. The west front has full height buttresses. The spire was damaged during the winter of 1864-5 and was replaced by a smaller, lighter version.