Sir George Gilbert Scott built a church of flint and stone in Early English style for the 4th Earl of Carnarvon between 1869-70, to replace an earlier church of 1692. It has a broach spire, lancets and plate tracery. The contractor was Jackson and Shaw, the clerk of works, W. Blackie. The carving was carried out by Farmer and Brindley and the decoration by the Ravenor Brothers. Scott drew the sleeper walls as they appear in the final building.