St Matthias – Malvern Link
In 1844, John Somers Cocks, the second Earl Somers, commissioned Sir George Gilbert Scott to design a large new church to serve this growing settlement on the northern foothills of the Malverns. It was carried out in the Middle Pointed style with lancets and tracery in Malvern granite, with clerestory windows alternating between two and three lights. Lord Somers laid the foundation stone on 4 March 1844 and it was consecrated on 13 January 1846. Scott seems to have worked in conjunction with Harvey Eginton of Worcester, possibly acting more as consultant to the local architect.
Pevsner, N., Worcestershire, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1968), p. 167.
St Matthias’s Church, Malvern Link – a visitor guide (n.d.).
St Matthias additions – Malvern Link
St Matthias’s Vicarage – Malvern Link
Scott also designed the associated vicarage, noted in his sketchbook 53 (1846-7), which has since disappeared.
Fisher, G., Stamp, G. and Heseltine, J., (eds),The Scott Family, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (Avebury Publishing, Amersham, 1981), 84 [c].