Sir George Gilbert Scott built this church between 1847-8, in Early Pointed style, with a steeple modelled on St Mary’s, Sutton, Lincolnshire. There are five lancets at the east end suggested by Chetwode, and a tower at the east end of the south aisle designed by G. E. Street, who was then Scott’s assistant. Street carried out further additions to the church in 1866. The church was destroyed during the Second World War.