After his initial report of 1867, Sir George Gilbert Scott restored and refitted the church between 1870-6 at a cost of £7,617. His clerk of works was Alfred Roome and his contractor G. W. Booth of Gosport. His work included new transepts and restoration of the tower. He renewed most of the windows, the large south window in the south transept being rebuilt in 1870, and he also added a clerestory.