St Mary’s alterations, Totnes
In 1862, Sir George Gilbert Scott was brought in to remove the galleries and also the rood loft of this church, against his wishes.
St Mary’s, Totnes
A more general restoration of this church followed in 1867-74 under the immediate supervision of Charles Baker-King with Sir George Gilbert Scott as advisor. This included a new vestry at the north side of the chancel in 1869, new roofs except for the north aisle, pews were replaced, new windows with tracery, except to the tower, throughout, new reredos, stone rood screen restored and the old wooden pulpit was replaced by an old stone one with a new base and steps.