Sir George Gilbert Scott completed a thorough restoration for the Rev. John Armistead between 1847-9, including rebuilding and extending the church. This included rebuilding the west tower in Perpendicular style, incorporating a porch at ground level with an inscription about the rebuilding. The old chancel and chapels were incorporated into the nave and a new chancel was built. Scott used the builders Thomas and William M. Cooper, the project costing £7,000.