At the same time that he was working on St. Asaph, Sir George Gilbert Scott restored and refitted nearby Rhuddlan Church. It was built in the thirteenth century to serve King Edward’s new town there but has later extensions to the east and a squat tower to the west.
Scott treated the old building gently, lowering the floor in the nave and raising it in the chancel, providing some new windows, seating, a vestry and rebuilding the south porch. He also provided a vestry screen, pulpit, an eagle lectern, altar rail and chancel seats. The work, which cost £2,000, started in 1868 and was completed a year later. He also provided a design for a new lych-gate.
Hubbard, E., Clwyd, Buildings of Wales (Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 1986), p. 425.
Fisher, G., Stamp, G. and Heseltine, J., (eds), The Scott Family, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (Avebury Publishing, Amersham, 1981), 64 [b & c ].
Scott’s Drawings Collection (RIBA), p. 64 (c).