Sir George Gilbert Scott undertook an extensive restoration of this church between 1854-61. This included removing the galleries, the box pews, lowering the floor level while the transept roofs were pitched higher. Eroded stone was replaced by sandstone from quarries at Runcorn. Scott also replaced Decorated windows and a Perpendicular door with those in a Second Pointed style which Pevsner called ‘inexcusable’.