In 1853-6, Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a restoration and extension to this church, adding an apsidal chancel in Perpendicular style, a new nave roof, opening up the chancel arch and adding a new north porch.

The west gallery was removed and fittings provided including pews, a pulpit, lectern and choir stalls. Carving was carried out by J. Blinstone.