Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church over the course of several years. He restored the east window in 1856, the nave, transepts and aisles between 1865-9, possibly as he knew the then vicar, the Rev. W. M. Colles, with whom he shared an interest in archaeology. He continued to be involved with the church working on the west porch in 1872 and in 1875 he reported that the upper windows of the tower were unsafe, his practice carrying out further work there in 1878.