The ‘dreaded’ Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a general restoration here in 1861-2, including replacing the west window and rebuilding the north aisle and window. The nave, aisles and transepts were restored at a cost of £2,150 and an old circular staircase leading to the belfry, a portion of which was found built into the wall of the south aisle, was rebuilt, with new tracery for most of the windows. Scott’s pupil, T. G. Jackson, took over the restoration of the chancel in 1863.