This restoration was planned by  Sir George Gilbert Scott but as it started in 1878, was completed after his death by his son George Gilbert. Carried out for the 2nd Earl of Effingham, it cost £2,000. The work included restoring and renewing the roofs using old timbers, rebuilding the nave, a new south aisle, porch and bell turret and the west window and north door were opened up. A new altar, pulpit and lectern were also provided.