This is a very ornate church in Early Decorated style with much carving, rebuilt on the site of another church between 1851-6 in red gritstone with grey Forrest stone dressings. It was paid for by William Gibb of Tyntesfield, and built by Mr James Coleman of Chaxhill, Westbury on Severn. It has a north-west spire, north aisle and southern timber porch. A new font and pulpit were provided of Painswick stone with dark red marble columns, the alabaster reredos was carved by J. B. Philip and the east window made by Jarente, both of which were shown at the Paris Exhibition. Scott designed all the other fittings including the wooden lectern.
Fisher, G., Stamp, G. and Heseltine, J., (eds), The Scott Family, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (Avebury Publishing, Amersham, 1981), 79 [b]. Girouard, M., The Victorian Country House (Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 1979), p. 244.