St Mary’s Castlechurch, Newport Road – Stafford
Whilst the restoration of St Mary’s was still in progress, in 1844 Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt started on alterations and additions to St. Mary’s Castlechurch. Their tidying-up was so extensive that Pevsner describes the church as their design. They rebuilt the chancel and the north wall of the nave and added a north vestry and a porch. The old fittings were removed and it was reseated, increasing capacity by forty-two. There is Minton tiling in the nave and chancel. It was completed in 1846.
Fisher, G., Stamp, G. and Heseltine, J., (eds), The Scott Family, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (Avebury Publishing, Amersham, 1981), 18.
Pevsner, N., Staffordshire, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1974), p. 249.
St Mary’s Castlechurch, design for north aisle – Stafford
Sir George Gilbert Scott designed the north aisle of this church in around 1851 but this was not executed until 1898 by his son John Oldrid. At the same time he designed a font cover but, again, this was not used until taken up by John Oldrid in 1898.
Scott’s Drawings Collection, p. 73, (RIBA).