Sir George Gilbert Scott restored the church in 1868-9, partially rebuilding the tower at the west end. General repairs were also carried out at a cost of £4,000, adjusting the walls and piers which were no longer upright. The gallery was removed and windows replaced, including the east window. In 1843, the church had been specified by Eccles as a model for colonial churches.