Between 1861 and 1862 Sir George Gilbert Scott refitted and repaired the university church of St Mary including refacing the exterior, renewing the tracery and adding parapets to the nave and aisles. In 1856 he had added new geometrical tracery to the north window of the tower and he was also consulted about the south wall by the vicar, Burgon, in 1863. He also seems to have restored the porch and spire later in 1864-5.