Sir George Gilbert Scott extensively rebuilt this church for the Rev. Richard Poultney in around 1865-7 at a cost of about £2000. This included rebuilding the chancel and roof, and reconstructing the interior of the nave. Clayton and Bell provided a painted frieze of saints to the walls of the chancel, as well as a marble reredos. The stained glass and fittings were also renewed. Scott’s drawings show that he was working on the project in 1863 and 1865.