In 1856-7 Sir George Gilbert Scott restored St Mary the Less, which is an imposing mid-fourteenth century church, providing new roofs and removing the gallery and pews. However, it has been considerably altered since Sir George Gilbert Scott’s day, particularly after the fall of the tower later in the century and there is now little trace of Scott’s work.
Clarke, B. F. L., Church Builders of the Nineteenth Century, A Study of the Gothic Revival in England (David and Charles, Newton Abbot, 1969), p. 234.
Pevsner, N., Cambridgeshire, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1970), pp. 475-6.
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, II, p. 281.